Lydia AI (formerly Knowtions Research) is an applied AI company on a mission to insure the next billion people. We work with insurers to pioneer digital Pay-How-You-Live insurance products using Lydia AI, our risk prediction engine. Lydia AI leverages new sources of data to make dynamic health predictions to create insurance products focused on keeping people healthy rather than paying when people get sick. We are a Canadian company targeting the fastest growing insurance markets in Asia and are backed by investors including Information Venture Partners and Alibaba Entrepreneur Fund.
Join us to help insure the next billion people!
As the IT Manager, you will be responsible for managing and monitoring all IT systems, hardware, software, policies, and practices. Key responsibilities include recommending and optimizing all servers, storage, network, implementing and monitoring all security threats. The IT Manager will also be responsible for security and back-up for Mac and Windows infrastructure, perimeter security, recovery infrastructure and database infrastructure.
As the first dedicated IT operations personnel of the company, the IT Manager will play a hands-on role to ensure IT services, equipment, software, and securities are implemented effectively and efficiently. You will be managing projects from idea to implementation and will be working with various departments.
Although this position is remote, the successful candidate must reside in the Toronto area and must be able to access the company’s servers, storage space and meet employees in person when required.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Infrastructure and design:
- Identify technology needs and create a strategy for technology
- Integration, adoption, and support successful implementation and training
- Research, procure and install all hardware devices such as servers, computers , laptop and network devices
- Research, procure and install all software programs and cloud base solutions
- Installing, configuring, and monitor endpoint security systems
- Identifying and solving any problems that arise with computer networks and systems
- Budgeting for equipment and assembly costs
- Maintaining existing software and hardware and upgrading any that have become obsolete
- Monitoring computer networks and systems to identify how performance can be improved
- Acts as the 24/7 x 365 escalation point for complex enterprise wide issues
- Assumes the Incident Management System Role of Incident lead in the event of an IT failure.
- Leads process to identify, track and monitor enterprise risks collected through regular Strength, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats (SWOT) assessments
- Manage, mitigate and minimize IT and network risk by creating IT Business Continuity Plan, Disaster Recovery Plan and Incident Response Plan
- Establish KPI’s and respective dashboards to demonstrate controls in real time
- Audit and improve organization wide IT infrastructure and security
Planning and Project Management:
- Lead by developing, establishing, and administering on the IT project plans and management
- Identifying and acting on annual and long-range opportunities to improve and update software and systems
- Lead specific change management activities (i.e. frequent communication to staff about change and the impact of the change, advocacy, and coaching)
- Conducting regular system audits
- Accountable to establish strong collaborative relationships with various leaders and function teams across the organization
- Liaise with vendors and service providers to ensure efficient and cost-effective acquisition of technology.
- Conduct capacity planning for network bandwidth, storage requirements, messaging and other applications
- Anticipate future network needs and identify proactive solutions to satisfy these needs.
- Evaluate current systems technology architecture and conduct feasibility studies for systems technology change.
- Conducting regular checks on network and data security
- Overseeing and determining timeframes for major IT projects including system updates, upgrades, migrations and outages
Security and compliance:
- Ensure systems and processes are compliant with data privacy and other regulatory requirements.
- Define, develop, implement and manage policies, standards, and procedures that mitigate risk and maximize security, service availability, efficiency and effectiveness
- Provide expert level advice and direction on security related matters to the senior management team.
- Oversee the strategic and tactical planning and provision of systems security, confidentiality, privacy and risk management in the areas of systems administration, server and service design, implementation, operation and support.
- Direct and plan security related governance, architecture, and audit activities for IT service initiatives.
- Developing and implementing IT policy and best practice guides for
- Design and implement security training programs for staff
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, system administration, information systems management or similar disciplines required
- At least 5 years of progressive supervisory/management experience with Information Technology/Systems
- AWS infrastructure hands-on knowledge
- Experience planning and designing strategic technical solutions for organizations
- Experience working with Google Suite, databases and other applications (Box, Dropbox, Google Apps, MS Office, Confluence, Jira, Slack) including data migrations, data cleansing, integrations, and report customization.
- Experience managing multiple projects across multiple stakeholders with demonstrated ability to translate technical concepts into plain language.
- Advanced knowledge of LAN’s, WAN’s, VOIP, Wi-Fi, and telecommunications
- Functional knowledge and experience with Servers, Mac, PC’s, Laptops, Routers, Switches, Firewalls, Storage Area Networks/ Network Attached Storage devices
- Proven track record supporting staff to successfully adopt and use new technologies
At Lydia AI, diversity is mission-critical. Our strength lies within our differences and in a diverse workforce that unleashes new ideas and perspectives. We celebrate diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workforce and foster a culture where all team members feel valued, respected, and supported.